Friday, December 4, 2009

I See Better in 3D

Facebook Twitter Digg Del.icio.us Myspace Stumbleupon Friendfeed

December 3, 2009
Austin City Limits Music Festival,
Mile High Music Festival,
All Points West Music & Arts Festival

If you paid attention to the date and locations noted above, you're wondering how it is that I was in 3 places at once, 3 months too late. Well, tonight things came in 3's. 3 Festivals, 3 Bands, 3D.

I was treated to a press screening of Larger Than Life In 3D, a. . . it's. . . well. . . essentially, it's a concert, except instead of being stuck behind the tallest guy in the crowd, you're dancing in the front row. Sometimes you're standing on stage. At other times you're a hundred rows back, but you can still see perfectly. It's magic. And I like it.

This particular 3D concert features Gogol Bordello, Ben Harper and Relentless7, and Dave Matthews Band. Gogol Bordello's set was energetic and the crowd was almost as insane in 3D as they are in real life. Somebody blew smoke in my face, but I didn't even smell it.

Next Ben Harper. . . If you thought Ben Harper was sexy in person, wait until you see him in 3D. The last time I saw Harper perform live it was at a last-minute Relentless7 rehearsal show at The Mint, in Los Angeles. I was blown away by the band - some truly amazing players, and I was standing exceptionally close to the stage. The picture on the right is my view of the Relentless7 show at The Mint in January. The picture above, on the left, is my view of the show inconcert3D. As evidenced, the view in 3D is as good as an unobstructed front row seat. Which is why, at one point, I thought Jordan Richardson was going to hit me in the face with a drumstick.

Dave Matthews Band followed Ben Harper and Relentless7. Beach balls were flying over my head during their set. The crowd was clapping and singing along. Dave did some of his wildest dancing, and you couldn't help laughing in response to some of his facial expressions. Did you forget we were in a movie theater? Yes, you can cheer, clap, and dance during the movie. And if you do, you'll have more fun. Of course, the person behind you may not be able to see as well, but that only makes you feel as if you really are at the concert.

After the movie ended, I was in the lobby, talking with one of the producers. We were having a great conversation, but I kept wanting to touch him to see whether I was talking to him in 3D or if he was really there. It was kind of like getting off a boat and still feeling the waves beneath your legs as you walk. Larger Than Life In Concert 3D is as close as it gets to the real thing. You will notice some differences: you can see better, you're not getting hit in the head by beach balls (although, I dare somebody to bring those to the movie theater). and you'll leave so much cleaner than you've ever left a festival.

Recent Posts

CWG Live

Album Reviews

Free MP3's

 

Extras

CWG Comedy | Dear in the Headlights

CWG Politics

Politics | Whirled News

Pop Section

GK Clusterf*ck | The Hotline | Girls Are Wingmen

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

About | Staff | Company | Careers/Internships | Contact | Advertise