Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wolfmother and Slash Tear Up The Wiltern

Facebook Twitter Digg Del.icio.us Myspace Stumbleupon Friendfeed

November 24, 2009
The Wiltern, LA



One of my friends asked me what I was doing tonight. When I told him I was going to see Wolfmother, he responded, "Wolfmother? I don't know what that is, but I wanna go." And that's why I'm friends with that guy - he knows a good thing when he hears it.

Wolfmother is a good thing.

The last time I saw Wolfmother it was during Voodoo Experience 2009, in New Orleans, Halloween weekend. They were one of only three bands that exceeded my expectations during that festival. The last time I was at The Wiltern was to see Nine Inch Nails' last performance ever and the room still feels charged from that event. The last time I saw a live show was 3 weeks ago, before I left on an Arctic expedition.

Wolfmother audience

Maybe it's due to my long holiday away from live music . . . Or perhaps it's just the fact that Wolfmother is an outstanding band, but that was one hell of a show. The audience was among the best I've seen in LA - clapping, stomping, jumping throughout every song. If they weren't already standing, the audience would have given a standing ovation after every song. There were times it looked as if the band was thinking, "Wait - is this our encore?" during the thunderous applause and cheering that followed every song. No, no. . . that's just your third song, but you played it like it was an encore and the audience responded with the same level of enthusiasm. Wolfmother played every song as if it were their banner hit - a larger than life, extremely energetic and passionate performance start to finish.
Wolfmother

I wonder if Wolfmother knows this was the best show they've ever played. I wonder if, from the band's perspective, this was an exceptional show. . . or have they all been this good? Andrew Stockdale's voice, guitar solos, and dynamic stage presence took the show to another level. At one point, Ian Peres was playing keyboards with his right hand and bass with his left hand, simultaneously. At another point, Peres was playing keyboards and his feet weren't touching the ground at all. Peres frequently needed to untangle himself from the cable he'd gotten caught up in while tearing around the stage.

Andrew Stockdale and Slash

Wolfmother weren't the only ones tearing around the stage. During the encore Stockdale invited Slash out to play "By The Sword." Whatever the audience was doing before Slash hit the stage, they turned up 300 notches when he did take the stage.

This was the last show of Wolfmother's U.S. tour. Wolfmother doesn't just get up there and play -- they GET UP THERE AND PLAY!

And the fans continued screaming and cheering as they traversed the parking garage, on the way to their cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y-AmCr0yRU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2N91C1PS5Y
youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoOXJcXTYxM

Recent Posts

CWG Live

Album Reviews

Free MP3's

 

Extras

CWG Comedy | Dear in the Headlights

CWG Politics

Politics | Whirled News

Pop Section

GK Clusterf*ck | The Hotline | Girls Are Wingmen

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

About | Staff | Company | Careers/Internships | Contact | Advertise